PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Year on year GA fatalities stats
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2015, 12:42
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it has become much more difficult in recent years to rescue an accident victim because of the protective cage built into a modern car.
A bit of thread drift...

Modern cars are much easier to cut into, as that is now intended - it did not used to be. I have been a firefighter for 25 years, and I have cut open a lot of cars, and a few planes in my years. Modern cars are a "cage" design, but when you know how, thery're easy to get into with the proper tools. With a helper, I can have four doors right off, and the roof off in around five minutes. A dash roll up can take a little longer...

As you pry and cut into a modern car, it will crumple predictably, and you can take advantage of this, to get access as you need it to simply cut away the parts you want gone.

The worst car I ever had to cut open was a '58 Chevy, it was built like a fortress, with door skins so thick, that they would not yield, to allow the access required to remove the door.

Airplanes are very different to cut into, but not really any more difficult, once you understand their structures.

For myself, for the last few years, my personal transport has been about evenly split between flying and driving - I do equal amounts of each on a weekly basis. I feel safer in the air, though it's a reality that if there were as many planes in my airspace, as there are cars on the road, there would be no hope of the safety we now enjoy up there....

It will always be an "apples to oranges" comparison, but anything which gets us thinking about aviation safety is always good!