PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Widerĝe w/35 pax in nose dive,recovered at 82 feet, suppressed by airline for 4 years
Old 10th Sep 2015, 09:52
Ka-2b Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote: An accelerated stall while in a bank at 300 ft AGL, and a recovery at 82 ft? With enough airspeed to pull 2.7 G in the recovery? I, too, find this dubious. Wind shear, that I could buy. Especially considering the location. A stall, not so much.

An accelerated stall is one which occurs at a higher than normal stalling speed due to the effects of G-force and can occur with the aircraft banked even in a nose-down situation. I have experienced them in extremely rough thermals and rotors. Because of their nature recovery can be just as rapid. When you are descending through an air mass if you suddenly arrive at some rising air you will get a speed increase, conversely if you arrive at some sinking air you will get a sudden decrease which could take you below your stalling speed. At 30 degrees of bank you will be pulling 1.4G? so your stalling speed will have gone up, hitting sinking air at the same moment gives you an "unexpected" accelerated stall. As you lower the nose to recover, levelling the wings at the same time you arrive in rising air and suddenly have lots of speed so you can safely and quickly return to level flight. Alarming to the passengers and co-pilot who has not experienced these conditions before but perhaps routine to a very experienced pilot who was unfortunate enough to hit a rotor in the wrong place at the wrong height but fortunate that the co-pilot had the knowledge and experience to recover from the situation.
Edited: Just realised that the F/O took control to initiate the recovery so the last sentence should be amended while reading to that effect.

Last edited by Ka-2b Pilot; 10th Sep 2015 at 10:04.