PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cross wind landings
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2015, 08:09
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
jabba pilot (if you are still here after five pages),

I would like to make an observation which may help you.

By way of background, I should say that I was trained (in England) to make a crabbed approach and then "kick off the drift" after flaring. I never felt comfortable with it, but our cross wind limits were so low, that there was never really a problem.

When I came to Canada, I was introduced to transitioning from the crabbed approach to wing-down in the flare. It took me a while to get used to, but now I wouldn't do a crosswind landing any other way.

I feel very comfortable landing single-engined aircraft in cross-winds up to the demonstrated speed and for ones that I am very familiar with, in crosswinds in excess of that value.

So after that long-winded introduction, the observation I wanted to make is that you have to get comfortable with the idea that you are planning to land on one main wheel, rather than rushing to get both mains on the ground as soon as possible.

Step Turn's photo of his 150's wingtip just above the ice is an extreme case, but it clearly illustrates the fact that rolling along on one mainwheel is easily managed.

A related point is that doing a slipping approach can be very disconcerting or even scary for non-pilot passengers. Ask me how I know!