PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAe LIMIT THE 146 TO FL260 DUE ENGINE ICING.
Old 28th Apr 2001, 21:41
Avro'ansome

Red face

Hey RD,
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">there was another fatality when a pilot committed suicide by diving a 146 into the ground.</font>
Please elaborate - the only such incident I can think of was PSA in Watsonville California, where a disgruntled employee boarded the aircraft, shot his boss during the cruise, shot the Senior cabin attendant, then the Captain and First Officer. He then disconnected the A/P, and dived the aircraft. That much is very clear from the CVR. 38 fatalities, no survivors if I recall correctly ??
Certinally not suicide.
Tut Tut my friend!!

P.S. I refuse to become involved in another 146 cockpit fumes/ rollback thread. All old news. The 'door' problem mentioned is an old one too - Always open the door by turning the handle fully, then pushing - Always close the door by pulling fully home, then turning the handle. Attempting to push and turn can cause a door to jam ( been there ), and pulling a door closed while turning the handle will result in the previously mentioned problem of the door slipping below its guides, which in the worst case can require maintenance.
If this ever happens to you, rotate the handle to the fully OPEN position. Push the door back out. Go outside and push the door from the bottom ( you may need help with this one) while someone inside draws it closed.