PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cross wind landings
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2015, 03:26
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Referring back to the photo I posted on page two, of the wingtip of my 150 a few inches off the surface, that would be very hard to accomplish on a higher friction surface. You'd probably roll the plane over, or at least shred a tire. Allowing a plane to drift laterally on the runway can ease directional control, particularly in a taildragger. That's why the Ercoupe had mainwheels which swung a little to each side, as there was no rudder control with which to "kick it straight" for touchdown.

When I was first getting used to a rather unforgiving taildragger, I took it out on to the ice (on wheels) in a big wind. Indeed, it was "intense" relative the the plane's characteristics! I landed progressively more and more off the wind, satisfying myself I could maintain control with the increasing crosswind component. Eventually, I was landing in a 20 knot crosswind (demonstrated was 12 for this aircraft). I had no problem maintaining my intended "runway" heading, until the plane slowed below a speed where the rudder was effective. The tailwheel had no friction on the ice. Then the plane weather cocked. On the ice, no harm done, but the point was clear.

But, as I approached this weather cocking at lower ground speed, there was more and more "slide" as the wind blew me across. If the surface had the friction of a dry hard runway, the plane might have groundlooped out of control if the tailwheel friction were inadequate to steer.

While training my charge in the Super Cub the other day, the 10 knot direct crosswind was enough to have me take notice. I kept her on the grass runway, and no problems. When We had to fly to the pavement to get gas, I flew. Once back on the grass, I had fun with one wheel landings, though not with the wing as low as I had in the 150.

So, I like grass runways, and wet if possible, for crosswind flying. If not, like parallel parking into a tight spot, I'll deal with what the circumstances offer me....