PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aussie fire contracts
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2003, 19:26
helmet fire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The weather will depend on El Ninoas usual, and I am with Spaced - longer range forecasts dont think it will come again this year.

.As for 206s, etc, I hope that is a joke. Go back three years, and it was hard to get a AS350 or BK on the fire because they were "too expensive" (only now the fire agencies are understanding the cents per litre arguements - talking NSW here).
The 206 is very suited to bucketing, and in particular, EXCELLENT for mop up.
1. Very little downwash on a long line. Why go out in a BK117 and fan up more than you put out? Also, it doesnt strip tree branches off nor stir up ash and crap around the mop up crew you are working with.
2. The bucket is small enough to be easily manouevred by hand at the bottom of your line to the exact position the ground crew want.
3. There is not really enough water to hurt anyone when you are working in close to the mop up crew, and you dont have to worry about dropping uphill of the crew.
4. Because there is so much positioning and waiting during mop up, the bigger machines begin to lose their cost per litre advantages.
5. The bigger machines can be moved to active fire front where they excel.

......and probably more reasons. Someone please tell me they are NOT going to stop them bucketing!