PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cross wind landings
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2015, 23:10
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe it's only when one lands a little crabwise that the lesser friction of wet grass comes into its own by allowing the tyres to slide sideways slightly at the moment of touchdown and hence relieving some of the strain on the airframe.
The less friction a surface has the less problem with the airplane not being lined up with the landing direction.

I had a very difficult landing scenario one night long ago flying in the high Arctic in a DC3.

The landing conditions changed dramatically just prior to our arrival at the destination airport Resolute Bay N.W.T. , the surface winds had been almost zero for a couple of days while we did a fuel cache contract about an hour and a half N.E. of Resolute Bay.

About sixty miles out of Resolute Bay the Air Radio operator at the airport called us and asked our position and I said sixty miles out and he said the wind was increasing rapidly and there was surface blowing snow starting to reduce visibility.

We could see the lights of Resoute and told him to keep us updated of the wind and surface vis.

Long story short....by the time we were a couple of miles final the radio operator informed us the wind was fifty knots and nintey degrees off the runway and the ground visibility was zero.

We confirmed we had the winds and the vis and had the approach lights and runway lights in sight.

We had good visual of the runway right down to about fifty feet and then we entered the blowing snow and visibility went to zero.

We held the heading that had kept us on the centre line during the approach and rounded out and the wheels contacted the runway as smooth as silk, I pushed forward on the controls to keep it pinned to the runway and we slid down the runway going sideways on the snow and ice covered runway just as slick as snot.

We came to a stop still on the runway and advised the radio operator we had landed successfully.....we took forever to find our way to the ramp in the blowing snow.

So there you go gang, a true story of using a slippery runway to your advantage.