PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 9th Sep 2015, 17:40
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dumping on the operating Crew

One poster on here (Flight Idle) will remember well our trip on Albert circa 1970. Part of White team RAF Colerne, we always managed to get a couple of "volunteers" to accompany Sqn Ldr Whelch and his crew on the post Base 3 air test. On this occasion myself and flight idle were the chosen victims. It was always an enjoyable experience once the low level bits were done. On this occasion, Roy Gaunt, a great Loadie, had served up some seriously hot Cornish pasties and coffee early. I was standing behind the Captain, Flight Idle behind the Co as we bombed down the runway at mega speed and pulled up, at I believe 2G in a zoom climb to test safety valve function. As a weedy 19 year old, I had little resistance to the effects of G and duly headed for the flight deck floor, abandoning the contents of my hands, very hot coffee and a scalding hot Cornish pastie. All ended up over the "drivers airframe" and one Bert Poulton (a splendid Flight Engineer) accompanied by a lot of negative vibes through the intercom. Now perhaps Flight idle might like to complete this tale, suffice to say, I had a long wait before I was allowed on a post servicing air test after that. I do remember our Flight Sgt hiding me away if the said Captain appeared in our hangar.

Smudge