PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 777 on fire in Las Vegas
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2015, 17:09
RatherBeFlying

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts
Get to the front of the queue

My friend James, who was sitting behind me, says he had a moment of calm once we were still.

There was confusion. Some people to our left stood up and ran to the front, while a flight attendant told everyone to be calm and stay seated. Most people listened. Not everyone did. We stayed where we were. We on the right side of the plane had no way of knowing that the left engine was on fire.

I remember sitting still and assuming everything would be OK and we would have another go at taking off once we were given the all clear. The message from a nearby flight attendant was still to stay calm. One of her colleagues was reassuring people, saying everything was fine. The lines of communication probably could have been better.

We looked out the window and for the first time saw smoke near the wing. We could smell it. It was like burning rubber – bitter and deeply unpleasant – and it was time to panic.
British Airways fire: 'We saw the smoke. The smell was bitter. It was time to panic' | US news | The Guardian

I have heard before that most people just sit there for several precious seconds before the group panic takes over.