PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 777 on fire in Las Vegas
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2015, 10:58
Heinz57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cabin luggage

I don't normally post on here, but I have to say I seriously can't believe how blinkered some of you condoning pax taking their luggage off with them.

For those who say they would have done the same (ie. taking luggage off), or it's ok to try grab your hand luggage, why don't you imagine for a moment being a passenger in a burning aircraft in the area where the fire is, in desperation trying to get off and away from the fire and smoke, but ahead of you, hindering your escape, are selfish individuals (who are nearer exits away from the fire and fumes - and consequently escape is more likely assured) blocking these escape routes standing in the way taking their possessions out of the overhead lockers. I would be curious to know how many of those pax sitting in the area of the fire stopped to take their hand luggage en route to the evacuation slides?

How would you feel if it were one of your loved ones in this situation and did not make it due to not evacuating quickly enough? It only takes the photo posted above to realise how quickly the fire must have escalated and therefore how lucky those pax were sitting in this area that they made it out in one piece with no serious injuries / fatalities.

When evacuation is as a result of fire and / or smoke, forget passports, medication, valuables. It's about simply getting out alive. Anyone who thinks otherwise is simply deluded and selfish in my opinion.