PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 777 on fire in Las Vegas
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2015, 09:47
golf yankee one one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hand luggage, shoes etc

I have never had to go down an evacuation slide, and I just don't know how I would react if the cabin was filling with smoke - just like all the others I expect.
I do think however that the dichotomy expressed here between the flyerfolk who want passengers who take bags with them punished in some way, and the analysts of human behaviour who stress the unpredictability of human reactions in a crisis is a somewhat sterile one.
It is probably unrealistic to expect 100% compliance with instructions about bags, but if the proportion of passengers carrying bags, particularly heavy ones from overhead lockers, could be minimised, that would surely help.
This might be achieved if passengers were "nudged" by information and advice at all stages of the booking, check in and briefing procedures to think of cabin baggage in two categories. A passport, a phone, money,possibly medication, possibly a laptop are vital and irreplaceable to many people (and the difficulties and delays of continuing a journey without documentation have already been highlighted) and should really be kept with you in the seat. A change of clothes, toiletries, duty frees and all the other stuff in the overhead locker is much more easily replaceable.
I also think I remember some years ago thefts from overhead locker luggage, which is another reason for keeping your valuables as close as possible.
Although no bags/possessions at all will remain the counsel of perfection, implying that a very small bag (handbag/briefcase size) can be taken with you might be the best pragmatic option.
The suggestion that shoes should not be removed until seat belt signs are off seems eminently sensible, but I haven't come across that on any airline I have used.