PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 777 on fire in Las Vegas
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2015, 08:18
oscarisapc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am pleased nobody was seriously injured in this incident but BA long haul is less likely to have problems with hand baggage in an emergency evacuation than the low cost short haul carriers such as Ryanair mentioned above. They actively discourage passengers from putting luggage in the hold and have also relaxed their previously strict carry on policy in an attempt to be more “passenger friendly”. On my last flight with Ryanair in the summer, passengers were struggling with two carryon bags, blocking the aisles as they boarded and disembarked which undoubtedly would also have happened in an emergency evacuation. My primary irritation at the time was the fact that there was no overhead locker space remaining and my carryon bag had to go into the hold anyway. There was nothing in the safety briefing about leaving bags behind in the event of an emergency evacuation although plenty about putting on a lifejacket in the more unlikely event of a survivable ditching. Should the safety briefing be updated from what was appropriate in piston propeller days and be more suited to purpose for modern aircraft?