PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - aviation knowledge gaps
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2015, 07:23
winkwink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd take the bilge which constitutes every part of the written exams in EASA licences, from private to ATPL, and replace it with clear video study of many the the things written above, like leaning, hot and high performance, runway perspective, and how to interpret weather radar. I'd abandon the ridiculous exam questions on pointless topics like the dry and wet adiabatic lapse rate, or the equation for lift, and focus on important aspects which pilots will see and experience during their flying.
I "hold the hand" of a pilot who, miraculously, passed his nine EASA written exams but understands next to nothing of what he learned. He tries to sound knowledgeable to friends by uttering important sounding garbage. Yet every time he lands his Arrow at an airfield with a bigger runway than he learned on (he learned at White Waltham....EGLM) he rounds out at about 10 feet above the runway and holds the aircraft off till it stalls and smacks down. Glasgow, Newquay, Roskilde, Visby....you name it, he's tried to dig a hole in it. Instead of the countless hours of groundschool which failed to teach him the knowledge he needed to pass pointless exams, he could have watched a few John/Martha King type videos and flown to do a few circuits at a bigger runway. Too damned sensible for the fools who run European aviation.