PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2015, 07:06
Reheat On

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AAIB state

Originally Posted by AAIB Bulletin 3/2015 SPECIAL
Initial findings indicate that the minimum air speed of the aircraft was approximately 100 KIAS whilst inverted at the top of the manoeuvre
and

Originally Posted by AAIB Bulletin 3/2015 SPECIAL
The aircraft then pitched up into a manoeuvre with both a vertical component and roll to the left, becoming almost fully inverted at the apex of the manoeuvre at a height of approximately 2,600 ft amsl.
[=~2590' agl]

This suggests different data sources but referring to the same point in time, subject to the nature of 'initial findings'. It is remarkable to think that the Go Pro in cockpit camera survived.

To you bu$$ers drinking all my coffee, an ironic sort of "thank you" Keep your mitts of the ground stuff - that's for the Boss and visitors only. And use the Long Life ...

Deef's - thanks mate - all input welcome and your jottings are duly archived

My overarching point remains.

Rule 1 - stay out of trouble
Rule 2 - when in trouble, depart the trouble quickly

Because for sure 100kt at 2600' is a compromised top-of-loop kinda' position in an aircraft that needs perhaps 3500' to recover through the vertical and regain S & L flight as per the DA by 500'.

As m'honorable gentleman BEag's has suggested there are possible reasons for less thrust than might have been thought [although speed / throttle setting might have been an old fashioned check on that in the run in]

Lets leave it that the risk of a fully developed stall and its secondary effect means that your manoeuvring options are limited.

Back to the whiteboard people, focus now:

Talk me through your recovery from this assumed 100kt/2600' agl/Inverted 'unusual position'

Here's AH's office for the day [and here's a glass to his eventual recovery in hospital and to his family and support network]

This is the Gatport Airwick Hunter

Hawker Hunter T.7B. (XL591) - Gatwick Aviation Museum

For those of you who have not seen the wide range of public imagery

These are some images I exposed, one of which showing the departure from the inverted and one shortly before a high rate of sink developed

Just follow the link

The fact remains, and it is sobering in its wake up call for us all, that it all happened so very quickly. Aviation at low level remains somewhat unforgiving when things start to unravel.

A sequence of stills of the Hunter at Shoreham