PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airside IDs & Five Years of References!
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2003, 15:58
Alberts Growbag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DETRA have decided that from the 1st of July this year you will need to produce a 'Basic Disclosure Certificate' to accompany any airside ID application to a UK airport.

This means that you (or your employer) will have to seek one from a company called DisclosureScotland who will have the sole rights to provide it.

A 'Basic' disclosure will involve providing a certificate listing any unspent criminal convictions that you still have outstanding under the Rehabliltation of offenders act 1974. This works on the sentence you got, not what you did. If your conviction is unspent, and is one that is prohibited by DETRA (Which is just about anything covering violence and dishonesty) your application will be refused by the airport authority. Thus without the ability to gain airside access you will lose your job, even if your employer is happy with your past.

There is no proposal as far as I am aware to provide five years history and references, but that is up to the individual airport authority. Thus I would not be surprised to see some overzealous manager decide that it's a good idea. However at present it is not a DETRA requirement.

BALPA reckon that many pilots will now lose their jobs due to the fact that any prison sentence of over two and half years is never able to be spent. Thus those that maybe did something twenty or thirty years ago in their youth, may now have their careers recked by some kneejerk reaction by the DofT.

BALPA are fighting this from the civil rights front, and many of you would be well advised to write to your MP's complaining that not too many suicide bombers live long enough to get criminal records to check up on!!

Oh and of course they have removed acts of homosexualty and sex with animals from the list, so along with the fact that death by dangerous driving is OK, then you can roger a sheep whilst driving around the M25 on a Friday afternoon killing hundreds in the ensuing pile up. But that's New Labour for you I guess!