PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 8th Sep 2015, 20:56
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ex Ascoteer,

Now we're talking serious humour on Albert, and "Pedro" was the epitome of that. I always thought that he was responsible for the spider, and also the Pongo Parade, with Colonel "in the wet" ! The beer cans may well have been in Ksimboys retinue. It's funny how the Loadies always played a major part in the humour on Albert, perhaps escapism from their duties at the galley somehow, I can't picture AA62 with his pinny on, as Gibbo (bless him) did a few times on the routes I had the honour to accompany him on. My favourite memory of the man was lashing up his Walkman to the PA system and enjoying a Disco back across the pond from Bermuda/Lyneham direct. A long dance, with his trainee lady Loadie being beyond belief at an empty freight bay Disco floor. I know that many "jolly japes" were initiated by the Loadies, and most enjoyed by all on board. I raise a glass to the Loadmasters, with serious respect. The ping Pong balls was I believe a Pedro trick on a Nav one route in the early days (way before my time). The locker over the Nav station for "aeronautical publications", in Dougs case "Babes", was filled to bursting with ping pong (or is it Whiff waff?) balls. On looking for a published reference the Nav was deluged with the ping pong balls. Adds to the excitement if on a low level jobby I suspect. Of course, Doug will know the validity of that.

Smudge