PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - After how many hours did you go for your first solo?
Old 28th Jun 2003, 15:28
WestWind1950

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
solo in about 10 hours, 1983, in a power glider at the time. I didn't know anything about weight limits (flight instructors job at the time, right?). There's a minimum weight requirement of 60 kilos for the pilots in a TMG (Falke SF 25)... I only weighed 47 at the time!! no extra weights added in... I did about 5 solo patterns before the instrutor realised I should have a weight cushion added (borrowed one from the gliders). Noticed the difference and got shaky knees when I learned in ground school the importance of the weight limits!! guess I did ok or I may not be here today!

the following I think are important factors:

1) number of traffic patterns practiced! doing lots of dual x-crountry adds hours but doesn't make time until solo shorter... but so what

2) personal attitude... the younger wannabes seem to be anxious to solo... ego trip? older students aren't often that eager... older = wiser?

3) time invested... if you can fly nearly everyday (job, family, weather) you'll solo sooner then someone who only flies occasionally

4) instrutor... some are really out for hour building.. I know of one new instructor who had his students still flying dual with over 50 hours! when they changed instructors, they nearly soloed immediately! and of course, the instructor has the responsible and HE/SHE decides if the conditions and/or students abilities all fit

5) air field/air field traffic... as has been said before by others, flying at a busy commercial air field might delay a solo while at a small, sleepy air field it might happen sooner

so, don't push it... just let it happen when it's time!!

WestWind1950