PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Aussies are coming
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2015, 12:48
cf680c2b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Martin

I beg to differ on the assertion that aviation is global. Aviation has always been a protected realm and still is. Can I go work for Qantas, BA, Air Canada, Air France, South African, JAL (not alter ego JALways). No, I cannot if I do not hold the passport or the license (Now, what the Queen’s commonwealth do with each other, I’m not too sure about). There are small pockets within various regions that have opened their doors for foreign Pilot for one reason only, supply. Once they procure that supply domestically, guess what will happen to the expat?

That deficiency in supply has driven up the wages, which is the primary reason I ventured out. It was not to obtain experience. My presence did not cause the depression of wages nor did I take anyone’s job. In an aggregate, I was part a very small minority of American Pilots who left for overseas opportunities.

This leads me back to the #1 argument of my original post. For decades the US market had settled on an imbalanced supply side stagnating wages to poverty level making the ROI for Pilot certificates negative. Those market forces have finally caused a shift in the supply curve forcing airlines to struggle with the status quo wages. American Pilots finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and adding 1 drop in the bucket of the old structure is not in the best interest of the indigenous.

If bridging gaps in Australia is a big problem, perspective new entrants should take that into account and avoid. Only then, will that structural failure be rectified.