PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing under HT cables
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2015, 11:34
maddmatt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol reminds me when I worked in Hong Kong and we were sling loading HV Tower parts to the construction sites - these were mainly in very difficult to access areas. One issue was the pick up point for the loads - all steel components that bolt together that make up the complete tower.

At one site the flat bed truck parked very close to an existing set of HV Lines, it was the only place for it to park due to terrain limitations. We were using a Lama with a short sling to lift the steel out, with ground standing on the back of the truck to attach the stropes to the hook. Funny thing about HV lines is the rotor blades actually conduct electricity which travels all the way down to the hook!!

This is back in the days before mandatory health and safety etc, so when the first loader caught the hook and got zapped (which was funny at the time) all the ground staff refused to do the work! I was doing load mastering at the time and couldn't understand why they were all refusing to work, until I grabbed the hook on the next run!! christ almighty the jolt was fierce, so we quickly rigged a grounding rod and continued loading.

Not quite on topic but close...