PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cross wind landings
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2015, 10:50
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The conditions one might experience while maintaining (or attempting to) the runway centerline down final will be a strong indicator what might be experienced at landing. It if fair to say that if you cannot hold the centerline down final, landing will be a challenge, and an overshoot should be an option (which to me suggests at least not selecting full flaps).

Generally, the wind is less intense at the surface, so if you have maintained the centerline down approach, it's likely not worse over the runway, but there can be gusts or mechanical turbulence to upset things. One of my frequented runways has an unfortunate tall stand of trees on a small hill on the prevailing upwind side of the touchdown zone - which keeps life interesting.

The term "crossed controls" brings to mind a full slip, with one of the controls being held to the stop against the effect of the other. If a pilot is needing to fly a full slip in a crosswind, I suggest aborting that landing, it was poorly set up. A full slip will not be required to maintain control in landable crosswind conditions. Some "crossed" control input might be required for the wing down technique, though not a "slip" worth. Yes, you might get to full control input once on the runway, because the aircraft has slowed, and more control displacement is required for achieve the desired effect. In such case, go ahead, that's what the control is there for!

It is possible to touch down fully slipped in some aircraft, I have done it for practice, though if done on pavement there are horrible tire chirping sounds. That's why grass, and even better wet grass, are more desirable for crosswind landings.