PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Experimentals and Africa
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2015, 08:52
groatse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys, you have sparked my hopes!

As for the info Max:
I work in anti-poaching, and my job requires me to go back and forth around Africa to different countries. Me and my colleague thought it would be a really good idea to use a plane for that purpose - most of the locations are very remote and I happen to be a GA pilot with an EASA license (prolly have an Aussie license soon too, if I get the conversion).

We searched high and low for a suitable plane and not many actually exist - the best STOL capability with the specs we need we could only find in experimental/non-type certified aircraft, or heavily modded production aircraft. The problem with production aircraft is that after modding they reach astronomical prices we can't really justify the cost to our employer. Anyways, long story short we were dead set on an experimental until recently I ran into a friend who was of the opinion that there is no way you can get an EASA or CASA registered experimental to get clearances in Africa.

I've contacted several African aviation authorities (or rather, tried to), but they don't seem to read their emails. I guess I better call.

Anyway, thanks again guys, much appreciated!