PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cross wind landings
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2015, 02:24
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's thread drift, but we seem to have beaten this round of crosswind talk to the end (again).

but to practice them as an abnormal or emergency procedure to enhance engine out judgement not as a standard approach.
I have learned to like the idea of a power off approach from a few hundred feet up, with a bit of power added if you need it. One of many reasons for this preference, is if you're flying a retractable wheel plane, you'll get the gear warning horn, if you forgot the gear. If you carry power to the flare, you just disabled that system. Maybe okay, if you're unable to err with the gear, but the system is there to warn you, and it won't if you don't pull the power off far enough back to make use of it...

To bring it back around to topic a little, you don't need power to maintain control in a crosswind, just fly the plane. I was demonstrating one wheel crosswind landings in the Super Cub to my charge today. Held on the upwind wheel, power off, until the full aileron would no longer hold it, then other main, while I held the tail off, until the tail settled on for lack of speed with full stick forward. Power was not required for this. All that power should be doing for you on your final approach, is allowing you to select where you will land, not how....