PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cross wind landings
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2015, 19:37
Pull what

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
now try my technique. Drop your wing into wind and line the aircraft up on the runway with rudder. Continue and land it initially on the lowest mainwheel. You can land 'em, no sweat with 40 kts across that way!" Since that advice was received, I have found it to work successfully on all light single and twins I have ever flown, Twin Otters, Shorts 330s and Jetstreams. I have also been advised by colleagues that it also works on B707s, B737s, B747s, DC3s, DC6s and A330s.
Correct PP but for a professional a crosswind landing is a every other day event, for an amateur its a life achievement!

In regard to risk by the way for those of you who feel you may be killed on short final by flying a 3 degree powered approach I can go back 50 years on my airfield and the only serious accidents I know of are 4- only one on tbe airfield, an instructor landed back on the runway after an engine failure on take off and went off the runway across the road. The other two were CFIT accidents caused by flying in IMC below safety altitude and the other one was a steep turn after take off in which the pilot lost control hit the ground and was killed.

If anyone can provide AAIB evidence of a loads of accidents in the last 50 years in the UK on finals due to to engine failure I would be more than happy to change my thinking.