PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cross wind landings
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2015, 18:17
P.Pilcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I learned, I was taught to kick off the drift with rudder immediately before touchdown, then let it land. With about 50 hours in my book, I went to Canada for a holiday and got myself a Canadian tourist pilot permit so I could try out Canadian flying. Naturally a checkout on a Canadian C150 was necessary and we had a 10 knot crosswind. I took off for my first circuit, managed to kick off the drift reasonably successfully, and put it down. At this point my instructor gave me some words of wisdom which have served me well for the remainder of my flying career. He said: "Huh, guess you were taught by an ex RAF instructor(true), now try my technique. Drop your wing into wind and line the aircraft up on the runway with rudder. Continue and land it initially on the lowest mainwheel. You can land 'em, no sweat with 40 kts across that way!" Since that advice was received, I have found it to work successfully on all light single and twins I have ever flown, Twin Otters, Shorts 330s and Jetstreams. I have also been advised by colleagues that it also works on B707s, B737s, B747s, DC3s, DC6s and A330s.

P.P.