PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Caravan for ****** Airlines?
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2003, 09:40
Loving-Life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Torres, I couldn't agree with you more about the van...fantastic aircraft for what we do with them. In fact we are looking at another one and so far have clocked up over 20,000 hours with the others that we have! The company wouldn't be where it is today were it not for their reliability, load carrying ability (you try getting 7-8 pax and 300 kg of freight in a 402/Chiefy), easy maintenance, passenger appeal, ease for pilot training and operation but most of all because of their cheap operating costs. The only improvement I would make is maybe an extra 100-150 HP up front to give it a bit more go when heavy and hot plus an extra 15-20 kts cruise.

However I do have a beef with them. I have nearly 1000 hrs PIC on vans and you know how much use those hours are to me?? Zipo!! The reason being that they are in the wrong column in my logbook! Doesn't matter that the aircraft is more sophisticated than most GA twins, costs 10 times more to purchase, carries more than any GA twin and has a Turbine up front. I would be better off (according to all the operators I have talked to about jobs) with 500 BS hrs in a seminole/duchess!! I fail to see how IFR RPT experience in a van is not as good as flying circuits in a Duchess as an instructor!! Getting a job with S/E turbine hours is like pulling teeth even with an operator who flies vans!! Every one wants 300 - 500 multi (or more in some cases) and no-one is prepared to look at you unless you have that figure. Don't tell me that it is an insurance requirement because I know better than that. I understand that some contracts require min twin hours for mining etc. but there are also ways around that as well.

This may sound bitter but is not, rather I am frustrated that people don't recognise the value in SE turbine hours, particularly some of the bigger operators/regionals. I love flying the van but like all pilots want to fly the bigger better plane, its just very difficult finding an operator who will give me the chance. My advice to pilots seeking work, get the twin hours first before looking for S/E turbine expereince (if you want it!).