PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 7th Sep 2015, 09:59
Hoofharted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting reading so far.

I have done the expat thing and have a slightly different slant on it, as I did it for the "adventure" not the SJS (shiny jet syndrome). I was already employed by a major at the time when I woke up one morning (recently separated) and said f$%k it, I'm off to broaden my horizons. 2 operators and many years later I am back in roughly the equivalent position I left 8 years ago.

Pros - the experience I have gained as a human being (and also as a pilot ) is something I would never have gained if I had stayed in Aus. Like it or not, we are a very very parochial bunch here and believe it or not, we are not the worlds best pilots as we may like to think. Funny enough the crushing loneliness that one feels from time to time as a result of being away from friends and family, has led to a much more well rounded view of the world and a better relationship with those dearest to me now that I am back home.

Cons - It has cost me financially and a command in a city of my choosing with a major. More importantly it has cost me some time and experiences that could have been spent with my children, but somehow I always managed to get back to see them reasonably regularly. See above - the con did become a pro.

My advice is if you are single go for the adventure and see where it leads you regardless of the money, time on type or crappy places you may sleep. If you are single but have kids, think long and hard before you commit to an overseas jaunt - I previously used the term "crushing" when trying to describe the feelings that some time overwhelm you when you are away from your little ones, I'm not exaggerating.

So often we get caught up with where we are and where we think we should be without enjoying the ride along the way. I know I sound like some silly old coot but this has been my experience and I hope it helps - would I do it again? In a heartbeat.