PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter down at Shoreham
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2015, 08:42
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rgsaero

I am sad to say you are correct about the inability to close roads for Motorsport in the mainland UK, ( that is precisely why I said IoM & IN in my post !), fortunately the laws in the Isle of Man and Northern Ireland are more enlightened, but this does not take away the fact that small areas around these public roads are prohibited to the public on safety grounds during the event.

While my critics shout about the wholesale chaos that my idea will bring I would remind them that the intention is to prohibit the public from small areas of high risk Not to slap a ten mile exclusion zone around the airfield.

The intention is to keep people out of the high risk areas of the extended display centre line to mitigate the risk of a high energy accident.

Very few human activities are totally safe and as an attendee at airshows and Motorsport events held on the closed public roads I understand that these events carry a greater risk than going to a football or cricket match and accept those risks, however airshows are a little different the in that due to the much larger area that aircraft can cover and that people who have not decided to take the informed risk of airshow attendance can be put at greater risk than in their daily lives. For this reason SMALL areas of high risk ground outside the airfield should be able to become closed to the public during an airshow to protect the non participating public from this greater risk.

The alternative to my suggestion is likely to be airshows that become little more than slow fly pasts.

Last edited by A and C; 7th Sep 2015 at 09:00.