PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomson recruitment.
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2015, 06:26
DooblerChina

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Penworth
Can I ask a few questions of those already in Thomson regarding the package on offer.

I understand the leave is 42 days per annum. Is this pro rated to 81% of that for those on a part time contract? I understand the leave available is based on seniority and also how many leave points you've accrued in the previous season, but how much leave is it possible to take in the summer? Is there any limit or is it just subject to the above? Do you still get wrap round days round leave?

There was mention earlier in this thread that blocks of days off are penalised in carmen. Has carmen got worse over the last few years or do you just have fewer crews? Is it still possible to get some say over the roster, say a preference for earlies, for example? Do you still have roster protection on all duties?

I know previously the staff travel was something like £1500 to give 70% off a Thomson holiday, do you know if this is what is on offer to new joiners?

Have the negotiations regarding the pension been settled and if so what is the offer going to be for new joiners? 10% company contributions was mentioned, what is the required employee contribution?

Thanks
Leave is 42 days pro rated, you can bid initially for 2 weeks in summer and then top up later. The rules are really complicated! Leave has wrap around days and extra gold days can be added as well so a 7 day block can end up being more like 10 or 11. Seniority has very little effect on leave, mostly it's how many point you have accrued. August and Xmas leave is mega points, November negligible.

Carmen, blocks of days of are not penalised, single days off are. 99% of my days off over the last year or two have been in blocks of at least two, more like 3.

Carmen works for some people less so for others, I find the most successful people are those who just prefer earlies or lates. Or maybe SSH night stops, trying to get a specific day off through Carmen is difficult:

Block window still applies on all duties, 2 hours either side.

Staff travel is pretty good, you are sorta correct but it depends on what you want to book, sensatory hotels for example is your concession (increases with length of service) applied to 70% of the cost so you may only need to pay the 30% in cash. If your concession isn't quite enough then you can top it up with monthly pre tax deductions from your salary. If however you want to travel around Australia and fly Emirates then the discount is way less, I reckon you would need to pay the 75% and use your concessions on 25%, Im guessing a little here as I've never used it on a scheduled carrier.

Staff travel is actually really good but it's a bit like our leave system, it's really complicated and there a literally thousands of options and freebies most of which no one knows about. For example, I was off to France recently and just happened to bring it up with someone in the know and an hour later, after a quick phone call I had a return P&O ticket two and a car for 18 quid, Another 18 quid and we used the business lounge each way! The girls in staff travel are trained travel agents now and are keen to help compared to a few years ago. Mainly because they have more time on their hands as so much is done online.

Pensions... well I don't know what's happening there, it's actually been stipulated form board/European level as we currently have the highest pension contribution in the group, not sure what's going to happen but the union are fighting hard to keep it at 15%. I think minimum contribution is 3% but most do more

regards