PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall Legality
Thread: Stall Legality
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2015, 04:04
Clare Prop

Received 236 Likes on 108 Posts
Good points Ultralights and there is a MOS with all of that in which makes no mention of the student demonstrating entry and recovery from the sort of attitudes being discussed here.

I did my instructor course in another country where recognising and controlling the aircraft at slow speeds and the human factors that can lead to this profile developing was emphasised well before bringing the aircraft to the stall angle and recovering. This was of course a very important exercise prior to learning the approach and landing, just another kind of controlled stall.

I came here and discovered this "yank-boot-shove" method of demonstrating stall entry and recovery which actually exposes the student to very little time in slow flight profiles and isn't required to be demonstrated, nor is it anything an aeroplane will do all by itself or realistic. Hearing people brief the fully developed spin recovery technique for a wing drop was unnerving. But these attitudes are firmly embedded in the industry.

Therefore to answer the OPs question I don't agree that the kind of stall entry and recovery standards on the MOS can constitute an aerobatic manoeuvre unless the instructor choses to push the aircraft into more extreme attitudes in which case yes it probably should be done as part of an aerobatic sortie and briefed as such.