PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA NPA for Upset Prevention and Recovery training
Old 6th Sep 2015, 08:59
Tee Emm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem with simulators is that they do a poor job of UPRT
Must disagree with you on that point, Dan. Having taught unusual attitudes in 737 simulators from fully inverted after simulated wake turbulence encounter, to a 60 degree vertical pitch up on initial take off climb (unload and roll to the nearest horizon as per Boeing FCTM recommendations,) my experience is the flight instrument indications work exactly as one would expect in a real aircraft. OK the "G" forces are not there of course.

Nearly all the well publicised loss of control situations have been at night or in IMC where prompt instrument interpretation and manual flying skills would have saved the aircraft. I have flown in many 737 simulators and control forces (not "G" ) and flight instrument indications, have been satisfactory whether in inverted or steep nose high or nose low attitudes.

After 15 minutes of this training in IMC, every student I have seen trained comes out of those simulators with a smile on their face and armed with the confidence and technical skill how to manually fly out of trouble in IMC. Really, it is no big deal although there are those in the Regulator who make a big song and dance over UA training as if it is something new. As long as the ADI's in the simulator are capable of rolling through 36 degrees (which most are) then UA recoveries on instruments simply require average handling skills.

Last edited by Tee Emm; 6th Sep 2015 at 09:09.