PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAR 232...an Ausfly experience coming to you?
Old 6th Sep 2015, 08:31
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
If only we could return to the days when we rote learned basic checklists!
My take on CAR 232 is that any pilot unable to produce a checklist in some physical form would bring down the wrath of CASA, I think CAR 232 is fairly explicit on that, so to keep the peace I always have a checklist accessible. Can't be bothered with the cost of challenging it by not having at least something to show the person from government who is here to help.....

In my little Sonex I made a checklist that simply says Fuel, Flap, Trim, Controls & Canopy and stuck it to the panel. Do I really need such a complex checklist? Probably not, but it is there just in case the workload gets to be too much for my senile brain.
Did CASA 'approve' it? No, and unless they offer a free service to do same, will not be invited to. Are they required to approve checklists for private operations? Dunno, but seeing as the aircraft is RA AUS registered, it's an interesting grey area. Like much of the legislation, CAR 232 seems to be applicable to all aircraft, regardless of rego. It is ridiculous and fraudulent complexity indeed.

Who was it said " rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools " ?