PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2015, 08:27
Lima Juliet

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts
From someone with lots of F3 time and puddle-jumper time - I wholeheartedly disagree with this comment:

With so few F3 hours, and very few indeed at low level and in that stores fit, plus a far greater number of recent hours, flying in the same valleys, in light aircraft, it is simply impossible that the mismatch between the pilots expectation of turn performance and the reality of the aircraft abilities at the time did not factor in the accident.
The biggest factor was that he was flying a heavyweight F3 (it was L fit) and he cut it too fine. Flying a L fit F3 and a puddle-jumper are so vastly diffrent that I cannot imagine how the two could ever blur - it's like a motorcycle versus a Transit van or windsurfer vs a yacht! Quite simply, I believe he did not have enough recency and implied skill to fly a heavyweight Lima-fit jet at low level - whether he flew puddle-jumpers or not.

In my mind there are similarities in the current Hunter accident, as well. A jet reportedly filled to full with underwing tanks, alleged low numbers of hours of recency and what appears to be cutting it too fine. I guess we will see when the AAIB release their final report.

Sadly, my disagreement about light aircraft and F3 will never bring back N & K from that tragic day. However, their passing provided a valuable lesson in minimum hours to stay recent on type - that day, with regret, we found out what that was.

LJ