PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Save a Sea King!
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2015, 06:26
[email protected]

Received 632 Likes on 274 Posts
Let's be clear - I have the greatest respect for anyone suddenly forced into a situation they are not properly or regularly trained for who achieves the aim and there have been many occasions where flying skill and bravery have overcome the odds - that goes for everyone.

However, how many pilots would launch in fog in a single pilot aircraft to search for a MOB (who had no lifejacket or immersion suit) with no appropriate sensors other than the Mk 1 eyeball? And how many commanders would allow their aviation asset to launch in that manner given the probability of detection was zero?

My actual point is that one of the vital things drummed into RAF SAR pilots (and presumably other SAR practitioners) is the recognition of when to say NO to a SAROP, regardless of the red mist, regardless of the pressure (both externally and internally applied).

I have had the 'SAR is a secondary role and anyone can do it' guff rammed down my throat many times on these pages and it is always by those who haven't done much (or any) SAR. If you are not used to balancing the risk/reward elements when presented with an urgent task and that task greatly exceeds your previous experience then caution has to be the watchword.

Good luck with acquiring the Sea King Heli 1, the dual painted one at Falmouth actually looks quite good so that might be the way to go if you get one.