PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAR 232...an Ausfly experience coming to you?
Old 6th Sep 2015, 06:06
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
Children, children; the adults on this site won't show you 'respect' while you keep waving your willies at each other. Your short attention span pisses some of us off too. Sadly, beatings are no longer allowed - apparently kids go on medication these days.
Back to the OP's concerns about CAR 232 etc. Yes, we should be concerned about all the penalty points and the whole punitive approach to something relatively unimportant in the grand scheme. Whatever happened to consultation, counselling and education, with enforcement only as a last resort? There are only a few pilots who would not respond to a firm but reasoned bollocking if a ramp check showed that they lacked required documentation.
However, despite the Draconian wording of CAR 232, it has been my experience with checklists in G.A. that CASA would not know what they have or have not approved. Even at airline level, while there will be a record of it somewhere, if it is more than a few years old it is most likely on the operator's books, not CASA's.
I have seen plenty of checklists - both home-made and official manufacturers' - but I have never, ever, seen one with "CASA CAR 232 approval ...dated......" stamped on it. The more official-looking ones usually have the operator's amendment date. Maybe put a date on your home made one then. Old enough to have been lost in the CASA archives, but not so old that it pre-dates the POH or AFM checklist. And all the better if the content is the same as the POH or AFM because then YOU have a reference that CASA won't have on the spot, and would be unlikely to challenge. Whether you really use it or not is another thing, but in a single pilot operation how would the FOI conducting the ramp check actually know?
There is a long list of 'stuff' they can ping you on during a ramp check, but as far as I can see, any checklist - whether it be a whole book, a laminated card or OEM placards on the panel (way to go!) - is likely to satisfy the inspector on the day. In an RPT operation a diligent FOI could conceivably reference the operator's manual suite, but in GA? Which office is the inspector from? Which office does the oversight on your aircraft? If they are doing dozens of ramp checks, bothering about such trivia would be too time consuming. If they are in prosecute-mode, there will be easier findings to bring in the revenue.
So............ woe betide you if your charts are not up to date, and/or you are overloaded, because they CAN check those against their references or bathroom scales.