PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2015, 02:57
FJ2ME

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for the thread drift, but there have been a few red herrings discussed recently here.

In the case of the F3 accident, the pilots experience on type and level of experience on light aircraft undoubtedly DID have an effect on that accident. The fact of the matter is when you reduce the flying rate to minimum, the most affected are the pilots with the least experience. With so few F3 hours, and very few indeed at low level and in that stores fit, plus a far greater number of recent hours, flying in the same valleys, in light aircraft, it is simply impossible that the mismatch between the pilots expectation of turn performance and the reality of the aircraft abilities at the time did not factor in the accident.

This is a totally different case to AH on the Hunter in my belief, as he will have spent thousands of hours at the start of his career on fast jet types so has a huge bank of experience to draw on, albeit not in the Hunter. However, his much more frequent Airbus hours in recent years are pretty unlikely to have denigrated this earlier experience in the way it would for someone who had less experience to draw on. This is also why I think the issues here are quite different to the recent Gnat crash, where whatever your thought on KW, he definitely had far less total FJ experience to draw on in times of need.

None of this is meant in disrespect to the deceased or critically injured, I'm merely trying to prevent false parallels being drawn between these 3 quite unrelated accidents.