PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA NPA for Upset Prevention and Recovery training
Old 5th Sep 2015, 23:53
GlobalNav

Received 151 Likes on 53 Posts
"What do you suggest - a power-point brief? From my experience as a military QFI, you can't brief a severe upset. the student only gains confidence by experiencing the recovery."

Hardly. I'm no more a fan of Powerpoint solutions than I sense you seem to be.

This is a case where education, alone, is insufficient, a change in behavior and performance/proficiency is required, in my judgement. Training is good, if there is enough of it, carried out in the right venue, with the proper syllabus and training objectives. While I would not totally discount some of the items that have been mentioned, I just don't see them as truly meeting the need. Unfortunately the frequency of occurrence is probably to low to convince the operators to invest the time and resources needed for sufficiently effective training.

I'm no inventor, but it seems to me that today's modern transports should have a flight guidance mode that provides the command guidance to detect and recover from the upset. We need to shorten the interval between occurrence and recognition/belief that it is happening, accurate identification of the condition and immediate correct intervention. The conditions are too critical to bear the delay of recognition, misinterpretation and wrong actions. I think the FGS needs to tell the crew what has happened, and unequivocal cues what to do and how.