PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting article on aerial fire-fighting inc. video of DC-10 doing drop
Old 5th Sep 2015, 22:06
plhought

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Downwind Lander
What is ridiculous is that the threat in the northern hemisphere happens six month out of phase with that in the southern hemisphere, and I don't reckon the gear is being moved around the globe accordingly.
http://skiesmag.com/digital_issue/20...2/files/1.html

Canada (I mean..cough...Canadian Companies) regularly sends equip. down to Oz, in addition to a good batch of the firefighters themselves. It all depends on the equip though - It's not really practical to try and ferry BC's/Conair's Air Tractors all the way down! By the time they got there the season would be over! In the past there's been Canadian Electras and such down there as well.
The 215/415 is a beauty firefighting aircraft but the Provinces (those who own/operate their own equipment and don't contract) here tend to keep a really tight grip on 'em. Like most expensive things purchased with public moolah - they are treated so accordingly.

There is significant exchange regarding personnel. My outfit has done quite a few forestry/firefighting charters as well with Australian firefighters this season up here in Canader.

There is cooperation. It's not always visible. It certainly is audible though when a host of 'Sheilas' and 'Bruces' show up in your small northern town!