PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airside IDs & Five Years of References!
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2003, 05:04
The Potter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Airside IDs & Five Years of References!

I see that to obtain an airside pass in the UK you must now be able to supply five years of employment references, with no gaps in your work history; give two personal references from people who have known you for five years & also pass a criminal record check.

Does anyone else get the feeling that the authorities are taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut? If you have passed a criminal record check & you can supply employment references from your previous employer as well as a personal referee, then where on earth does the five year requirement fit in? Why not make it 10 years, or how about no gaps since you left school! I think that many people are going to lose potential jobs over this one, particularly our colleagues from the wannabe forums who may have gaps in their employment history because they were training, waiting for courses, working cash in hand etc. & what about the guys & gals who have spent time travelling abroad?

I know that we must take security issues seriously but this seems an illogical step to take but, as usual, an easy one to implement for the authorities & we all know that they must be seen to be doing something. Any thoughts on this one?