PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Nationals being discriminated against?
Old 5th Sep 2015, 14:58
733driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A lot of misconceptions here.

Someone claimed the Lufthansa OM-B was in German. Not true. However, LH do expect you to speak German because they are a Germany airline, with many German Customers, German ground staff etc. So it does make sense that as a pilot who works of them you speak the language of the people you work with. Also, they expect you to stay "forever" as opposed to many other "expat" jobs.

(on a related note: LH will not be hiring anyone any time soon. They have just set up Eurowings EU in Austria in an attempt to win the "race to the bottom" when it comes to pilot pay and conditions)

Somebody mentioned how airlines in the UAE are so much better because they don't expect you to speak Arabic. What a silly comparison. Over there we are all "guest workers". People from all over the world come there because they don't have locals that can or want to do the jobs. And since everybody there comes from all over the place, the local language is not the common ground, but English is. Unlike in France, Spain and Portugal. Even there customers are most from all over the place.

It has been mentioned that many Dutch pilots fly for BA, for example. Of course they do. Thea all speak perfect English. And many of them work for airlines in Germany. Guess what, they speak German. I don't see any discrimination going on here. I really don't.

Now, I would not be surprised if it was hard for a non-national to join IBERIA or Air France for example, even with good local language skills. That is not ok. But a Dutch pilot flying for LH or BA if he or she is as good or better than the local applicant, why not?