PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2015, 13:11
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello salad-dodger,

Thanks for your response. The only part of your post that I objected to was the penultimate paragraph I quoted. The rest of it raises/summarises some valid discussion points.

No occupation comes under greater, constant scrutiny - not to mention media attention when things go wrong - than professional flight crew. In the midnight hours, I inferred that you were either a phishing journalist or someone with a grudge against aircrew. it is evident now that my assumption was wrong, but I still reject your allegation against the pilot profession, which you patronisingly described as a "vocal minority" [of] "pilots defending pilots", likening them to a "closed shop".

Quote from Mickj3:
Whilst I agree with CS regards second guessing the outcome of the AAIB i feel he should be reminded that this forum is for:-

"A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. ALSO for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here".

Yes, and I'm not even ex-military! The forum I was referring to was PPRuNe as a whole, which I believe is primarily an aircrew forum. That is not to suggest that we do not need to be informed and challenged by ground crew and everyone else involved in the science, technology and business of making aircraft fly. I was at Dunsfold last weekend, and the most enjoyable and informative conversation I had was with a line-maintenance engineer (on a non-Hunter topic).