PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gannet AEW3's
Thread: Gannet AEW3's
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2015, 11:14
joy ride

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had not heard of the Breguet Alize!

Earlier 76 fan mentioned the Short Seamew which I was vaguely aware of but had a look at Wiki.

Thread drift alert!

I note that many tests were carried out by Seamews on HMS Warrior, which was also used to test "Rubber Deck Landings". Later it went to the Pacific as part of the British nuclear tests, then it sailed to Punta Arenas where UK hoped to sell it to Argentina.

My Dad worked for the Foreign Office in Montevideo and was sent down with some British and Argentinian Navy brass and the British Ambassador to Uruguay Sir Nicholas Henderson in Dakotas (possibly 3).

Dad's Dakota had engine problems and had to make a forced landing in the vast empty marshlands south of the River Plate. It was several days before they were found by a rancher and the news got back to Montevideo that all had survived. I was about 5 and remember those anxious days of waiting for news.

The rancher returned later with horses and a big farm wagon, and we have a lovely old photo of Dad, the Ambassador and the Navy Brass in all their finery standing calmly in the distinctly rustic wagon before the long trip to the rancher's house.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Seamew