PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall Legality
Thread: Stall Legality
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2015, 11:13
roundsounds

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm not sure why stalling would be considered an aerobatic manoeuvre? Stalling is something experienced / practiced in all aeroplane types as part of endorsement training / type familiarisation. Maybe it's the result of the fear of stalling I've observed develop over the last 30 odd years. I've had some very interesting experiences with flight instructors, of all grades, when doing their tail wheel endorsements. As the type is new to the trainee I always start with an upper air familiarisation exercise, then return to the circuit area. This famil' involves normal handling exercise including stalling. I've even had a couple of instructors refuse to do more than allow the stall warning to sound before they initiate recovery (pulling the circuit breaker fixes this!). The recovery sometimes involves a -1G bunt to an almost vertical dive! It really makes one wonder what their poor students are being / not being taught. Perhaps it's because pre-aerobatic checks are expected before commencing a stalling exercise?
There's no dispute stalling exercises should be completed at a height permitting safe recovery, but they're certainly not an aerobatic manoeuvre when conducted in accordance with the manufacturers operating procedures.