PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2015, 09:59
essdee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightning Loops

Digressing to the Lightning, low level solo display loops were flown all the way round in max reheat, pulling more or sometimes less ‘g’ to control speed and shape. Safe aerodynamic control and a modicum of airfield positioning came way ahead of the impossible desire of achieving a truly round loop.
Let me preface my comments to the above quote (Post #596) by saying that, in my view, this is irrelevant to the Hunter display at Shoreham.
This may well be how bigglesbrother displayed the Lightning, and it certainly makes for the tightest manoeuvre. I have seen a number of Lightning displays flown in this manner and told one of the pilots that I hoped his faith in Rolls Royce was not misplaced. The downside is that any loss of thrust in the last quarter of the loop has the unavoidable consequence of busting base height. My preference was to use max chat for the first quarter, ease the pull to increase speed and height over the top, reduce power during the third quarter and fly down to base height increasing to full burner on completion. This technique also worked well on the Phantom.