PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAR 232...an Ausfly experience coming to you?
Old 5th Sep 2015, 09:24
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And pilot is a profession ?
Baron B.,
I think the answer to that is probably not.

I am reminded of the situation, many tears ago, of an application to the old Industrial Relations Commission by the then Australian Airline Pilots Association to be removed from the basic wage system, and be "recognized" as a profession.

The application failed and the Commission decided that an airline pilot was the equivalent of a First Class Fitter, plus a margin for skills.

Profession/Professional is, in my view, now a very debased term, when I hear hairdressers describing themselves as "professionals", as if merely getting paid for something makes you a professional. Indeed, in my view, many younger pilots are quite precious about this aspect of their job.

-my opinion is based on studying Assoc. Dip.Mech Eng at the old QIT.
Oz, I think I agree with you, I have a rather outdated engineering qual., which falls somewhere between Ass. Diploma and Diploma of Engineering, Mechanical, the comment that I would make it that there was a lot more theoretical design content in thencourses, than I see in present similar courses. It was/is the equivalent of years one and two of the then engineering degree, which was then three years for a BE.

Tootle pip!!