PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2015, 08:06
Lima Juliet

Received 80 Likes on 32 Posts
BEagle

I agree. There have been quite a few F3 mates flying Hurricanes, Spitfires, Dakota, Lancaster and Chippies when at Coningsby without an issue. The difference being that when at Coningsby the average mate was getting 18-20hrs per month, but at Leuchars in the F3's twilight years that had dropped down to a measily 12 or so. I agree that flying light aircraft or any other type of aircraft should have little bearing on flying a fast jet if they have had lots of recency/continuity.

On another note, the AAIB report mentions taking an 8 kt tailwind for take off - filled to the gunnels with fuel this will certainly extend your take off roll! Anyone know if the runway taken (RWY02) was a short cut to reduce engine running time (£££s)? Seems to me an odd thing to do if you don't have to?

LJ

PS. Having read the AAIB piece I still stand by my post #540 as to my deduction on what happened "to me I think it was a factor of a modified 1/4 clover and then an oblique pull through that meant that the normal gate height would probably have been too low. Normally a 1/4 clover would be from 90 degs from the crowdline but the position of Lancing and Lancing College make this difficult."