PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2015, 22:14
salad-dodger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The AAIB’s Special Bulletin appears not to say a great deal, but when one reads between the lines I think it also tells us a great deal.
  • The pilot had only 40 hours on type. Perhaps others could comment on how many hours a military pilot would be likely to have on type before being allowed too conduct a display like this in front of and next to the public.
  • The pilot (an airline pilot) flew to North Weald in a light aircraft – I believe the RAF has major concerns over cognitive errors associated with pilots flying such different types of aircraft.
  • The report refers to the time on type in the last 28 and 90 days and that displays had been flown in other types. It also confirms that the pilot had the met the requirement to have flown the display sequence at least 3 times and once in the last 90 days.
  • The AAIB don’t seem to have been able to compare the actual flight path on the day against either a planned/documented or authorised display.
  • The report makes the point (twice) that the aircraft was fuelled with a full fuel load. I don’t know whether it makes a difference for this type of manoeuvre in the Hunter. Perhaps an experienced Hunter pilot can comment. The report also comments on the extended take off roll.
  • The report has commented on the seeming absence of abnormal indications and that the aircraft seemed to be responding correctly to control inputs.
  • Others have comments on the apparently low max height achieved and low minimum airspeed at the top of the manoeuvre.

As I have said before, I suspect that the AAIB will find many similarities between this accident and the recent Gnat accident at CarFest – aspects such as pilot selection, experience (including type), training, supervision, management, currency, etc, etc. This interim report just confirms my fears. We haven't even really started to discuss the 'system' (or lack of) which allowed this display to take place where it did.

I think we all know which way this is going, but dare not say so for fear of offending the vocal minority - pilots defending pilots. Not unlike the closed shop that the GMC is often criticised about.

The scale of this tragedy was very easily avoidable.

S-D

Last edited by salad-dodger; 4th Sep 2015 at 23:12.