PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2015, 18:37
Arcanum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the AAIB report:

From the pilot’s electronic logbook, it was established that the pilot had flown a total of 40.25 hours in the Hunter since 26 May 2011, of which 9.7 hours had been flown in the last 90 days and 2.1 hours in the last 28 days.
I'm curious what the general view is of currency and the applicability of experience on other aircraft.

Of course, private flying of this nature is not the same intensity as the Red Arrows and the hours accumulated during front-line training of fast jet pilots is required to maintain currency across many skills. So I wouldn't expect to see 10-20 hours/month on the Hunter. Especially given how expensive it would be!

I hesitate to post this as I'm not seeking to add to the second guessing. It's more a high-level question to the experienced pilots who've bounced around between types about how easy it is to get in to an aircraft and fly it in a moderately demanding way (i.e. more than just a ferry/pleasure flight). Even if you're accumulating a lot of hours on other aircraft during the same period.

[edit] If the answer to this question could just add to the controversy, please ignore.