PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA NPA for Upset Prevention and Recovery training
Old 4th Sep 2015, 11:39
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys: I agree the time to correct this is at basic training stage. The students are enthusiastic pilots who are then not being allowed to fly. It is sad to meet some disillusioned souls stuck in RHS of an aluminium tube not being encouraged to fly. If the basic training issues can be fixed they will only bear fruit if the skills can be carried forward and kept sharp on a daily basis.
I wonder how many incidents were converted into accidents not because of lack of skills, specifically, but by boredom and complacency that allowed the situation to go undetected. I include in this the simple scenario where you are sucked in hot & high and do not react in time: and ultimately do not go-round.
The best lessons I ever learnt in my jet apprentice days was: by my first PNF G/A due not visual at DA; by my first PF G/A from an SRA (not visual); by a G/A as PNF from a visual circuit flown by an ace. A thermal tailwind kicked in <500' on a shortish runway, right in front of the terminal and all the pax. No compunction to toss it away and go again. Best lesson ever.
Now that would be an interesting practice. An a/c that becomes subtly unstable <500' with no windshear warning. PF has to decide. That is a +ve lesson, plus more practice at one of the most realistic possibilities - a normal all engine G/A - that is most often routinely messed up.
In the sim the mandatory G/A is of little value as you know it's coming. It's the same with RTO's. At the end of the detail you always finish with RTO & Pax Evac. There is no surprise element.
V1-cut. I once had a TRE give me the engine failure at TOGA from an NPA. Now that was a real +ve experience. Vref40+5 = V2F15 so it was classified as loss of thrust <V2. Ticked a box, but in a very educational manner.
More imagination vicar.