PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cross wind landings
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2015, 10:21
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by jabba pilot
I'm flying a jabiru lsa, 80 hp. Not thr easiest, but a great training plane. Have to always use correct rudder input. Scary sometimes, but fun.
I certainly have found the Jabiru one of the more challenging aeroplanes to land well of my career, mostly because of the cockpit ergonomics. I'm assuming that yours is like the one I've flown, with the Y-shaped yoke in between the seats, and a brake lever in front of that.

The aeroplane, as I recall, responds adequately to either the crabbed or wing down approach - so do whichever your instructor is teaching you. I tended to use wing down.

The problem with the Jabiru is that it's then virtually impossible to maintain aileron input after touching down, as the only sensible way to fly it, particularly from a shorter runway, is to put your right hand through the middle of the yoke, locking the ailerons neutral, and holding the brake lever. Pulling back for maximum braking, in a significant crosswind, is wise, because that minimises the time when you've got a crosswind on the ground but can't use aileron to help balance it.

So:-

Wing down method (steer with aileron, keep on centreline with rudder)

Let it touch down on one wheel if necessary, flaring as usual.

Once settled - centralise aileron, put your hand through the middle of the yoke, pull firmly back on the brake lever whilst keeping straight with the rudder pedals.

Not an easy aeroplane to land at-all, but should make a good pilot of you.

And if your instructor is telling you something different - listen to him, not me ! It's his aeroplane, and I'm sure he has more hours on type than I do.

G