PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2015, 08:33
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KenV
Thanks for that, including your Google admonition.

That last item (uses information discovered during the investigation to assist in the prevention of other deaths where possible) is interesting from an American's perspective. So if an aircraft performing at an air show is determined to be the cause of death, the coroner could (rule? suggest? require? recommend? I'm not sure of the correct term here) that air shows be banned? If so, I now better understand the coroner's meaning in her use of the word "fearless".
Ken, it is my understanding that the coroner can not order or require a subsequent course of action but that to so ignore such a finding would be germane should such avoidable deaths occur in future. A change in procedure is more likely to be instigated by a Government Department or Agency.

As an example, a death on a fast road might result in a recommendation for a lower speed limit. The relevant council will show that the speed limit in force met the existing rules. The Highways Agency will then consider whether the rule should be changed (Government money involved) or recommend (local money involved).